
(ATR) The International Paralympic Committee says it is "keen to reassure the public about the potential impact" the coronavirus outbreak could have on preparations for Tokyo 2020.
The issue was discussed during the ninth and penultimate project review with the Tokyo 2020 Organizing Committee which ended on Thursday.
"The outbreak of coronavirus so far has had minimal impact on Games preparations and both the IPC and Tokyo 2020 are going about our plans as expected with athlete health and well-being remaining our top priority," said Craig Spence, the IPC’s Chief Brand and Communications Officer.
The IPC comments run counter to those of Tokyo 2020 CEO Toshiro Muto, who during a meeting with the IPC on Wednesday was less confident.
"I am seriously worried that the spread of the infectious disease could throw cold water on the momentum toward the games," Muto was quoted as saying by the Associated Press. "I hope that it will be stamped out as soon as possible."
According to Kyodo, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Thursday told the country’s Parliament"In terms of whether to hold the Tokyo Games (as scheduled), I'd like to make it clear that there have been no talks or plans being considered between organizers and the International Olympic Committee since the World Health Organization declared an emergency."
At last count, the virus has killed 565 people with more than 28,000 infected. All but two of the deaths have been in mainland China, where the coronavirus outbreak began in the city of Wuhan.
There are 45 reported cases in Japan with no fatalities.
"What is important now is that we put this outbreak into perspective in terms of cases and try to calm people’s fears. Fear spreads much faster than any virus and currently, according to the WHO, there are less than 200 reported cases outside of China," Spence said.
He adds that the IPC is "regular dialogue" with the World Health Organization and other relevant authorities and will "follow their advice".
"We would not be doing our job properly if we are not prepared for every eventuality," Spence said.
"We are therefore encouraged that Tokyo 2020 has established an internal taskforce on what measures may need to be taken should this virus continue into the summer. We are also fully reassured that the relevant Japanese authorities, as well as the WHO, will take all necessary measures to address the ongoing situation."
Outside of the coronavirus issue, the IPC declared it was "encouraged and confident" about preparations for this summer’s Paralympics after the latest three-day project review.
"One area where we have witnessed significant progress is accessible transport, which is essential for all stakeholder groups at the Paralympics, especially the athletes," Spence said.
"There is still some work to be done, especially around transport for ceremonies, but I am pleased the team are very much now on the right track.
"A focus area for the Organizing Committee between now and May’s final Project Review is transition planning, the period between the end of the Olympics and the start of the Paralympics. The transition period is vital to get right, not just in terms of venues, but in terms of all functional areas."
The Tokyo Paralympics will take place between August 25 and Sept. 6, bringing together 4,350 athletes from around 160 countries who will take part in 22 sports.
Written by Gerard Farek
For general comments or questions,click here.
Your best source of news about the Olympics is AroundTheRings.com, for subscribers only.
Últimas Noticias
Brigitte Henriques: “The important thing is that the women who are elected should be chosen for their ability, not because we are looking for modernization in terms of gender”
“When I was a girl I couldn’t find a club to play soccer in because most of them didn’t work with women,” Henriques tells Around the Rings during an in-depth interview in Crete, Greece.

The Hula Report: Winds of Change for ANOC in Crete
New leaders coming for peak Olympic group. Whether other candidates emerge in the months ahead, a contested election for the ANOC presidency will be a first for the organization.

Gilles Gilbert Gresenguet, presidential candidate for AFCNO: “We must take advantage of Paris 2024 to bring the Olympic Games back to French”
The elections take place November 18, and Abakar Djermah Aumi, president of the Chad Olympic Committee, is also aiming to win them.

USOPC announces 613-member 2020 U.S. Olympic Team

Roger Federer pulls out of Tokyo Olympics: "I am greatly disappointed"
(ATR) Federer cites "a setback with my knee" for the decision.
